Hi guys, Fitfluential is a cool organization that I have become a part of. If you want to check it out, it's at www.fitfluential.com. Here is the interview they did with me for their blog recently:
1. How do you define FitFluential?
It’s a lifestyle. I think what sets FitFluential folks apart from other people in the fitness industry is that we are walking our talk as a daily way of life. Personally, I feel like helping others is one way I can give back for all the blessings that sports and training has brought into my life over the years. I love being a resource and an example for all of us regular folks with busy lives who might not have much time or money to spend on getting in shape.
2. What is your main motivation to be fit?
Because I’m a weird guy with a weird life, I have three different motivations for staying fit:
1. As a cop, I owe it to my family, to citizens, and to my co-workers to be capable of handling any craziness that could come my way without warning. Honestly, I try not to judge anyone for anything they want to do with their life, but one of the few exceptions is when I see a fat cop. I take that disrespect personally! Grrr…
2. As a not-quite “D list”actor and model, I don’t get the same kind of advance notice before filming that Tom Cruise does… If my agent calls and says I’m shooting swim trunks tomorrow; unfortunately, I can’t look squishy.
3. Finally, as a fitness professional, I feel strongly that I should live out the advice I give to others. Everything I share I have learned through trial and error in my own training over the last 20 years. I think of it like this: Say you really want to learn how to shoot a gun. Would you rather learn from the person who has read every single book ever published on shooting OR from the person who has done the work to be a great shooter for the majority of his life? If you ask me, I trust the shooter.
3. FitFluential believes the key to balance is Eat, Sleep, Move, Enjoy. What is your favorite way to Enjoy Life?
Man, I am a dorky dad. Truth be told, i love the simple pleasures of time with my wife and kids. I don’t have a whole lot of free time these days, so I try to include our kids in as much of my day as possible. I thrive on routine as much as they do, so I look forward to my mornings with them before I have to go to work or an appointment. Every day it’s the same: breakfast, reading one of my favorite books with them (right now it’s White Fang!), play a soccer game (I have a pitiful winning percentage, I’m like the Washington Generals), then go for a run with the boys riding their bikes alongside (actually in front of me, I’m trying to act cool for the neighbors while trying desperately to keep up).
More importantly though, my wife Juice (Julie. Just a strange nickname I’ve called her forever?) and I try to keep a regular date night which is just US. We love the little weasels, but we realize how vital it is to keep our relationship #1. Certainly not perfect- no such thing as a perfect marriage- but we do our best to be on the same team because life is crazy enough already! She’s my partner in all things
4. What is your regular fitness routine?
I’m not sure how to answer this question without self-incriminating that I’m a psychopath. Actually, a lot of you reading this would probably understand that psychosis, right? I’m amongst friends, ahhh.
That said, here goes: I train 3 or 4 times a day, six days a week. Tissue work, Stretching and Core every morning. Soccer game with my boys followed by a 25 minute Run or interval work. Later I try to ride a bike around the city at work, as fast as i can (which is not very fast, comparatively). Then my main session is mostly heavy weight training combined with different metabolically taxing movements thrown together into several circuits which I affectionately call “kicking my own ass,” OR “unleashing the monster” on particularly effective days.
In order to keep this going, I pay close attention to a 48 hour rest period after targeting one muscle group before I train that group with any intensity again. My intake is about as clean as I can get it without jumping off something really high- usually once a week I have some red wine and dark chocolate as a mental vacation. I take in a lot of veggies, a lot of protein, a lot of water, and too much caffeine. I could use more sleep. Right now, in fact…
5. What advice do you have for someone at the beginning of their fitness journey?
Make good changes slowly- we are training for Life, it’s not a “get rich quick scheme!” Change a couple of things at a time, do those for a few weeks until they become habits. Habits are strong, stronger than will power. And habits becomes our lifestyle. Too many changes too fast is not realistic, it won’t stick. Too much like a “diet” I don’t like that word!
You’ve played a lot of real bada** dudes in some movies. Does playing a bada** part in a movie make you feel more bada** in real life, or are you naturally awesome either way?
Ha! How about “awesome Neither way?”
Funny, I find that acting like a tough guy in front of a camera is a lot like acting like a tough guy as a cop. In fact, I believe it helps me out to be good at both. As an actor, that’s easy to understand. But as a cop, there are a lot of situations where just looking tough keeps you out of trouble. I have a standing rule of avoiding fights whenever humanly possible. I spent a lot of years training in martial arts and then teaching others how to defend themselves, but the simple truth is, you just never know who you are going to run up against. My ego is not so big that I have to find out who is tougher! There have certainly been plenty of times where the only solution to the problem was to touch some folks, however, acting the part and looking squared away has kept me out of a lot of “knock-down, drag-outs” where other guys may have been sucked in…
Do you find that to play the bada** dudes in movies, you have to workout extra hard and “diet” so the camera doesn’t add 10lbs? Or does it not count with guys?
Short answer, yes! Especially when comparing myself to guys in their early twenties! Haha!